Many iPhone users wanted to know whether is my iPhone unlocked or locked? In this article, I will be discussing how you can check this. The distinction is that on any network (like, only on Verizon, T Mobile, Sprint, etc.) an unlocked iPhone can be used, while a locked iPhone can only be used on the carrier to which it is locked.
A Verizon iPhone, for example, can be “locked” to work exclusively on the Verizon network and cannot be activated on the network of a competing carrier. This is called “SIM lock” as well.
Is My iPhone Unlocked or Locked?
To know how to check if the iPhone is unlocked. Read this article till the end to get the complete information.
To lock it into their network, cellular carriers install software on the iPhone. Unlocking includes this software being disabled. This way, carriers are able to offer subsidized devices through locking. This is why iPhones that are unlocked are worth more money.
If you intend to purchase a used iPhone, this may be particularly important because your new iPhone may not run on your cell carrier if you are not careful.
Checking a new (or used) iPhone to see if it’s locked is always a smart idea. You can swap carriers freely if it is unlocked. On another compatible wireless network, you can operate your iPhone if it is unlocked.
How do I know if my iPhone is unlocked or how to know if your iPhone is unlocked is not that difficult? Mention below are some simple steps that you have to follow to check whether your iPhone is locked or not.
Also See: Dropped iPhone in Water? Here's What You Should Do
Is My iPhone Unlocked
Well, there are many ways to check this. But I will discuss 2 simple methods of how to check if the iPhone is unlocked.
iOS 14 or iPad 14
A recent update to iOS and iPadOS introduces a new feature that you can use whether you are running iOS 14 or newer on your iPhone or iPad. A fast and easy way to find out whether your computer is unlocked or not is supported by this new feature. Here’s the way:
- Open your iPhone or iPad, and move to settings, general > About
- Scroll down and find “Network Provider Lock” or “Carrier Lock”
- This means that the iPhone or iPad is absolutely activated if you see no sim restrictions
You can see the method below if you are not using iOS 14 (running iOS 13 or earlier) :
- Go to settings > telephone > Cellular Data option (or Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options) on your smartphone (iPhone or iPad)
- If you see an alternative called “Cellular Data Network” or Mobile Data Network” your iPhone is probably unlocked if you see any of them
This includes verifying whether a SIM card is used to unlock an iPhone. To see how it works, we’ll delete the current SIM card from your iPhone and install another SIM card on it. Just make sure the SIM does not come from the same carrier. If your device is unlocked, this method 2 will let you know for sure.
Let’s see How to do this:
- Turn the iPhone off
- Locate the tray for the SIM (located usually on the right side of your iPhone)
- To remove the iPhone’s SIM card, use a SIM card ejector tool (or a paper clip). In the hole next to the tray, insert the paperclip
- Remove from the tray the current SIM card and replace it with another SIM card from another carrier
- Turn the device on
- The carrier will automatically be detected by your iPhone if it is unlocked. If your phone is locked, a message saying the phone is currently locked will be displayed on your iPhone. Place a call to see if the call connects, to be 100 percent sure.
Also Check: How to Block No Caller ID on iPhone
What if your iPhone is locked?
So, have you checked and figured out your newly acquired iPhone is locked? To call the carrier to which it is locked. It can be unlocked by the carrier. Until it can be unlocked, however, carriers also have a few criteria. For instance:
- After they were brought, Verizon iPhone stayed locked for 60 days. After the 60 day locking period, Verizon will automatically unlock your unit
- AT&T requires you to make an online request to unlock it. By going to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/ you can do this by going to
- You can call Sprint help at 888-211-4727 if you are a Sprint customer.
- You can call them at 1-877-746-0909 if this is a T Mobile appliance.
Well, this was all about my iPhone unlocked. Follow these simple methods to solve your problem.
I hope this article will help you to find a solution for which you were looking, you can also follow Apple’s Forum to know more.